President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that the United States may need to strike Iran again, alleging that Tehran’s leaders are “begging for a deal” even as the U.S. military remains on high alert. Speaking at the White House, Trump claimed he had been just an hour away from ordering a fresh attack before postponing it, following a new proposal from Iran to end the U.S.-Israeli war.
“I was an hour away from making the decision to go today,” Trump told reporters. “Iran’s leaders are begging for a deal.” He warned that a new U.S. attack would happen in the coming days if no agreement is reached, though he did not specify terms. The comments come after a week of escalating tensions, with the U.S. and Israel having launched strikes on Iranian-linked targets in recent months.
The U.S. has struggled to end the conflict it began with Israel nearly three months ago, with Reuters reporting that Trump faces intense domestic political pressure to secure a deal that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz — a critical chokepoint for global oil shipments. Gas prices remain elevated, and Trump’s approval rating has slumped ahead of November’s congressional elections.
Oil prices settled lower on Tuesday after Vice President JD Vance said Washington and Tehran had made “a lot of progress” in talks, and neither side wanted to see a resumption of military campaign. “We’re in a pretty good spot here,” Vance said, while acknowledging difficulties negotiating with a fractured Iranian leadership. “It’s not sometimes totally clear what the negotiating position of the team is,” he added, emphasizing that the U.S. is making its own red lines clear and aims to prevent a nuclear arms race from spreading in the region.
In Tehran, Ebrahim Azizi, head of the Iranian parliament’s national security committee, said on X that Trump’s decision to pause an attack was due to realization that any move against Iran would face a decisive military response. Iranian state media outlined Tehran’s latest peace proposal, which reportedly includes ending hostilities on all fronts, including Lebanon; the exit of U.S. forces from areas close to Iran; and reparations for destruction caused by U.S.-Israeli attacks. Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi also cited demands for lifting sanctions, releasing frozen funds, and ending the U.S. marine blockade, according to BBC.
As the standoff continues, both sides appear to be maneuvering for leverage. The coming days will determine whether diplomacy can avert another round of violence in a region already scarred by conflict.
Source: ARY News